October 27, 2007

Suzme Yogurt~Yogurt Cheese!


This is so incredible easy to make and is so delicious. It is creamy and delicious and goes well with breakfast, or brunch. It is comparable to cream cheese, just much healthier. It can last for a few weeks covered in your refrigerator. You can purchase this yogurt in some Turkish stores but I prefer making it from my own yogurt that I prepared at home. I believe it is more healthy and delicious.

1 Lg. container plain yogurt
1 fine cheese cloth (purchase at local grocery)
1 tsp. salt
string
stick (to hang ball)

Mix one tsp of salt into your yogurt. This will help to release the water. Place your cheese cloth in layers over a strainer. Empty yogurt into center and let sit for a few moments. Gently close your cloth and tie the top off. If you like a sour taste you can hang it over your sink and let drain. I prefer to hang in my refrigerator on a stick, with a bowl underneath. The cheese has a more mild flavor than the one left at room temp. After a few hours gently squeeze some water from the "ball" some yogurt may come out. Hang over night repeating the process. If you like a firmer cheese you can leave in for a few days. I opened at the end of second day and as you see in the picture it was shape able. I hope you enjoy this easy Turkish delicacies. Afiyet olsun!

No comments: